Τουριστική Πύλη Νομού Αχαΐας Logo

GreekEnglish (United Kingdom)
Attractions -> Architecture -> Achaia Clauss winery

Achaia Clauss winery

E-mail Print PDF
A+ A -A Larger Font Smaller Font

achaia_claous.jpgThe facilities of the Achaia Clauss winery in Messatida, constitutes a museum of architecture.
The factory was built in 1861 by the Consul of Germany Gustav Clauss. The magnificent stone buildings and additions that have received the following years, within a green landscape, make Achaia Clauss a destination for numerous visitors of Achaia. Here you will find very old objects and barrels of 1873 Mavrodafni, and 1885 wines and 1887 cognacs.

In 1859 Gustav Clauss, a representative of the company Fels and Co., is purchasing 60 acres of land at 500 meters altitude, near the Riganocampos point from landowner George Kostakis. There he built his summer residence, where he also planted vines.
In 1861 he founded Achaia Clauss winery and in 1908 the company focuses on the production of noble wines such as "Mavrodaphne" and to a lesser extent, the production of "Demesticha" wine.
Achaia Clauss over the years has won 15 major awards, 51 gold medals, 38 silver and 32 diplomas.
Factory
The factory has several storage areas, which can hold up to 7500 tonnes. The main ones are: the store with the old Mavrodafni, the warehouse of table wine, the underground tanks and Daniilidas storage . Of particular interest is the "imperial" cellar, where all the barrels are commemorative from visits by Greek and foreign Kings. Stored at the site is the oldest wine in Greece, the old Mavrodafni of 1873. The most intriguing part of the plant is the bar. The tables and chairs are shaped barrel-like while the chandeliers are made of green bottles and the curtains from cork. Also noteworthy is that in the plant operates a sewage treatment plant.
Famous visitors
All these years Achaia Clauss has experienced great moments. Some important personalities who visited the factory: Otto von Bismarck, Franz Liszt, Eleftherios Venizelos, Melina Mercouri, the Empress Sissi of Austria, General Montgomery, Alexander Fleming, the Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew, Pavlos Koudouriotis, Aristotle Onassis, Omar Sharif and the King Gustav Adolf of Sweden, George A', Constantine A', George B' and the queen Alexandra of Great Britain, Louise of Sweden and former Queen Olga and Sophia of Greece and Princess Marie Bonaparte.
Mavrodaphne
Mavrodaphne is the most famous wine produced in Achaia Clauss. According to the legend, Klaus named so this variety of wine in honor of his fiancee Daphne, a beautiful Greek woman with dark black eyes, who died at a young age. The wine is produced from a variety of red grapes and during the end of its maturity it gets a particular flavor like cherry, vanilla and dried fruit (especially raisins and chocolate) thus making it ideal liqueur wine. Mavrodafni is a very sweet wine and it can easily cause intoxication. It is consumed in large quantities during the carnival of Patras.


Information
Visits: daily from 09.00 to 17.00
Tel.: 2610-368.100

Source: http://el.wikipedia.org  

 

 

In the same category

Alykes
Northwest of Kato Achaia, the village of Alikes, is a dreamy place to spent time without stress. This is a fishing village that took its name from the salt production facilities that used to be there. The houses of Alikes maintain their traditional color, while all daylife aspects are relative to... Read more...
Achaia Clauss winery
The facilities of the Achaia Clauss winery in Messatida, constitutes a museum of architecture. The factory was built in 1861 by the Consul of Germany Gustav Clauss. The magnificent stone buildings and additions that have received the following years, within a green landscape, make Achaia Clauss a... Read more...
Towers and tower-houses
A distinctive and admirable kind of traditional architecture, which reflects the need for defense during a very turbulent era of the period 1770 - 1830, are the towers and the tower-houses, projects of Varvarita builders. They have three floors and defensive use is evident with battlements and... Read more...
Aigio
German architect Ernest Ziller left its mark on the city's temples Aigio. Based on his plans, the church of Panagia Faneromeni and the Temple of Holly Mary, were built. There are many classic buildings that reflect the construction boom of Aigio city during the years of raisin production and... Read more...
Psathopirgos
Psathopyrgos village of Rio municipality, brings you a traditional sense in terms of buildings, climate and people. Taverns, fishing boats and low houses, reminds the visitor of an island.  Psathopirgos, formelly called Zachoulitika or Zachouliotika is a village 16.4 km northeast of Patras. If... Read more...
Traditional Mountain Villages
The villages are built on hills, slopes and plateaus near running water. At the highest point, usually the church is built and next to it a fountain. The traditional house consists of a ground floor and an upper floor. The cellar is used for storing goods and for keeping animals and the upper floor... Read more...
Architecture
Prefecture of Achaia has to present a wealth of buildings with unique architecture, influenced by different patterns of time. Characteristic are the buildings erected in the 19th and 20th centuries, and there is a set of industrial buildings that illustrate the economic and commercial development... Read more...
Egglezika
Outside of Patras, west of Ities point and at the height of the Old National Road in municipality if Paralia, the mansions of the British (known as Egglezika) are suited. They were built based on neoclassical and foreign architecture styles.  They are remnants of the flourishing British... Read more...
Patras
Franks, Venetians, Romans, Byzantines, all "contributed" in the creation of the historical and architectural profile of Patras. The ancient Odeon "most valuable throughout Greece after Irodio Odeon" according to Pausanias, the Castle, the old Church of St. Andrew (1836 - 1843)... Read more...