Τουριστική Πύλη Νομού Αχαΐας Logo

GreekEnglish (United Kingdom)
Attractions -> Architecture -> Aigio

Aigio

E-mail Print PDF
A+ A -A Larger Font Smaller Font

aigio.jpgGerman architect Ernest Ziller left its mark on the city's temples Aigio. Based on his plans, the church of Panagia Faneromeni and the Temple of Holly Mary, were built. There are many classic buildings that reflect the construction boom of Aigio city during the years of raisin production and marketing.

The municipal market which today houses the Archaeological Museum and Panagiotopoulos Mansion, are just a few buildings of perfect aesthetic and architectural value. Also, the twelve-headed fountain with at the Aigio's seaside deserves your admiration. Behind this lies the plane tree of Pausanias.
Most important buildings are listed bellow:

 

  • Panagiotopoulos Mansion, is a large three-story neoclassical building ofpanagiotopoulou.jpg 1857-1860 built by Panagiotis Kalkos. The interior offers beautiful, Pompeian style, frescos on all walls and ceilings. It is located at the junction of Cathedral and Panagiotopoulos.
     


  • The Archaeological Museum, (Old Public Market, a work of Ernst Ziller, built in 1890), wasmouseio_aigiou.jpg for decades the central city market. Given the asymmetry of the land the he sought a free architectural design, abandoning strict symmetry. Particular elements of the building are the main entrance with pediment, the tower in the corner, the coffers of the cornice and the painted decoration on the panels of the upper facade. It operated as a public market until the late 70s when it was abandoned. Today, after restoration by the Ministry of Culture, which highlighted the architectural wealth, it houses the Archaeological Museum of Aigio, which presents artifacts of the region, starting from the Neolithic period, reaching up to the Hellenistic period.
     
  • The Municipal Hall, built in the late 19th century, was originally used as a residence and later on it housed a branch of the National Bank, thedimarxeio_aigiou.jpg government of the Italian occupation forces in the period 1941-1943 and the also the Police. During 1983-1985 it was restored and now it houses the City Hall of Aigio, forming an important architectural monument.
     
  • The Tower of Ipsila Alonia, (neo-gothic building of 1900)
     
  • The old Hospital, (currently a cultural center), 
     
  • Η Δημοτική Βιβλιοθήκη (Παλαιό Γυμνάσιο), χτίστηκε στα τέλη του 19ου αιώνα και είναι ένα από τα σημαντικότερα δημόσια κτίρια της πόλης. Έχει νεοκλασικό ύφος και διακρίνεται για την αρμονία και την συμμετρία στις αναλογίες του, με κλασικό σχεδιασμό της τριμερούς κυρίας όψης, της οποίας η αετωματική επίστεψη στους πλάγιους άξονες προσδίδει μνημειακό χαρακτήρα. 
     
  • The Public Library (Old Gymnasium School), built in the late 19th century and is one of the most important public buildings of the city. It has a classiclaografiko_sm.jpg style and is distinguished for its harmony and proportional symmetry with the classic design of the main side, whith a pediment crowning the oblique lines. 
     
  • The building of Gateios legacy, (today serves as a Post Office, a project of Ernst Ziller aslo, with Baroque clay decorations in the interior of the second floor, built during 1910).
     
  • Chrysanthopoulos mansion, (at Agious Apostolous, a stone residence since the Ottoman occupation). 
     
  • The Messinezis mansion (street Despotopoulou), is one of the first neoclassical mansions built in Aigio during the post-revolution early years. In 1833, the house hosted King Othonas, when he visited Aigio, but also it hosted a branch of the Postal Savings Bank, and during the period 1971-1985 it served as a Town Hall. Today, it has been restored and is the architectural jewel of Aigio city.
     
  • Iliopoulos villa, at dexameni, 
     
  • Panagia Phaneromeni is the cathedral of Aigio and it was built upon the older temple which was destroyed by the earthquake of 1861. The churchfanerwmeni.jpg is cruciform with a dome, is the work of architect Ernst Ziller and combines new-romance style with Byzantine style. The interior is decorated with paintings of artist Constantine Fanelis and is a unique monument of great religious and artistic value.
     
  • The church of Virgin Mary of Aigio, built in 1893 and was designed by architect Ernst Ziller. It is cruciform with a dome and combines neoromantiko the Byzantine style. Particular morphological elements are the pottery decoration at the base of the dome and cornices of the roof. The temples' entrance is one of the most important monuments of Aigio and it will be restored by the Ministry of Culture, as it has suffered deterioration and damage from the earthquake of 1995.
     
  • Church of Panagia Tripiti (Zoodochou Pigis), patron saint of Aigio, is built on a rock overlooking the harbor in a slope that separates upper and down town, exactly attripiti.jpg the point where according to tradition, a castaway found in a rocky hole in 1650, the image of Virgin Mary, which is attributed by Evangelist Luke. The church is two-storey, with neo-classical style with eclectic tendencies, which took form in the second half of the 19th century. Unique architectural feature is the double-wide marble, leading to the temple, which was completed in 1870.

    and many otherover fifty private buildings, at Eisodion, Saint Andreas, Andreas Londos and Despotopoulou streets and elsewhere.

Source: http://el.wikipedia.org

 

In the same category

Traditional Mountain Villages
The villages are built on hills, slopes and plateaus near running water. At the highest point, usually the church is built and next to it a fountain. The traditional house consists of a ground floor and an upper floor. The cellar is used for storing goods and for keeping animals and the upper floor... Read more...
Alykes
Northwest of Kato Achaia, the village of Alikes, is a dreamy place to spent time without stress. This is a fishing village that took its name from the salt production facilities that used to be there. The houses of Alikes maintain their traditional color, while all daylife aspects are relative to... Read more...
Towers and tower-houses
A distinctive and admirable kind of traditional architecture, which reflects the need for defense during a very turbulent era of the period 1770 - 1830, are the towers and the tower-houses, projects of Varvarita builders. They have three floors and defensive use is evident with battlements and... Read more...
Patras
Franks, Venetians, Romans, Byzantines, all "contributed" in the creation of the historical and architectural profile of Patras. The ancient Odeon "most valuable throughout Greece after Irodio Odeon" according to Pausanias, the Castle, the old Church of St. Andrew (1836 - 1843)... Read more...
Aigio
German architect Ernest Ziller left its mark on the city's temples Aigio. Based on his plans, the church of Panagia Faneromeni and the Temple of Holly Mary, were built. There are many classic buildings that reflect the construction boom of Aigio city during the years of raisin production and... Read more...
Egglezika
Outside of Patras, west of Ities point and at the height of the Old National Road in municipality if Paralia, the mansions of the British (known as Egglezika) are suited. They were built based on neoclassical and foreign architecture styles.  They are remnants of the flourishing British... Read more...
Psathopirgos
Psathopyrgos village of Rio municipality, brings you a traditional sense in terms of buildings, climate and people. Taverns, fishing boats and low houses, reminds the visitor of an island.  Psathopirgos, formelly called Zachoulitika or Zachouliotika is a village 16.4 km northeast of Patras. If... Read more...
Architecture
Prefecture of Achaia has to present a wealth of buildings with unique architecture, influenced by different patterns of time. Characteristic are the buildings erected in the 19th and 20th centuries, and there is a set of industrial buildings that illustrate the economic and commercial development... Read more...
Achaia Clauss winery
The facilities of the Achaia Clauss winery in Messatida, constitutes a museum of architecture. The factory was built in 1861 by the Consul of Germany Gustav Clauss. The magnificent stone buildings and additions that have received the following years, within a green landscape, make Achaia Clauss a... Read more...